Speedwell of Rhu Ship's Log

22nd of April 2018 - A diversion

Position Map
Crew : Helen and Andy
Destinations : Viana do Castelo.
Distance : 40 miles

We weighed anchor at 0700 and motored out into the weak sunshine. There was a gentle breeze on our nose and very little swell. It didn't look like we would be able to sail but we hoped for an easy motor all the way to Baiona. We were followed by another boat in the distance slightly further in to the shore. By about 1100 the wind had shifted slightly and it was possible to have a lovely sail for a couple of hours. It took us slightly off course toward the land but we were prepared to motor again if the wind didn't shift.

Unfortunately the wind did shift slightly but also increased gradually until it was force 6 consistently on our nose. Although there was little swell the waves were being picked up and dumped on our bow by the wind. This brought our speed right down to 2-3 knots and it was clear we wouldn't make it to Spain before dark. Fortunately Andy had a backup plan and we weren't far from the entrance to the Rio Lima at Viana do Castelo where there was a pontoon and small marina.

We were very concerned about the wind and being blown of the pontoon so were prepared for extraordinary berthing procedures. The wind remain quite strong as we entered the harbour. However, after the short motor up to the town the wind disappeared altogether and I was able to step ashore without mishap. Once we had secured ourselves, Andy went to the office and I helped the man following us tie up his boat, Lazy Otter. Like us he had decided to divert.

  

We had a lovely afternoon riding up to the Monte de Santa Luzia on the funicular and having a glass of wine by the river. It looked like the Portuguese trade winds were setting in and the forecast was for the northerly winds to increase again by midday the next day.

Previous : Index : Next



© Copyright