A selection of articles on various aspects of sailing
- The Joy of Ketch - Experiences
sailing a ketch rigged boat.
- Why we bought Speedwell of Rhu - The process of chosing our boat.
- Anchors and Anchoring - Our choice of ground tackle and experiences using it.
- Anchor Stowage - How we stow our Rocna.
- Wind Generator Failure - The loss of our Rutland 913 wind generator.
- Charter Management - Experiences with our previous boat in charter management.
- Coppercoat - Copper anti-foul.
- 2012 Itinerary - Our plan for the 2012 season, and what actually happened when the weather intervened.
- A Flare Free Boat - How and why we got rid of pyrotechnics on Speedwell
Descriptions of some technical aspects of sailing that often don't get covered in detail in general sailing books.
- Keels and Rudders - How they work, what happens when they stop working and how to recover.
- Sail Twist and Wind Shear - One reason why boats sail differently on opposite tacks.
- Velocity Made Good – Trading off course against speed.
- Triatic Stay - What is a triatic stay?
- In-Mast Reefing - A personal view on why we've chosen to convert to slab reefing.
- Suppliers - A review of some of the suppliers that we’ve used.
Some supporting articles explaining some of the background to the technical articles.
- Sailing Maths - The maths behing VMG, true wind and apparent wind