A selection of articles on various aspects of sailing and our boat.
- The Joy of Ketch - Experiences sailing a ketch rigged boat.
- Why we bought Speedwell of Rhu - The process of chosing our boat.
- Anchors and Anchoring - Our choice of ground tackle and experiences using it.
- Anchor Stowage - How we stow our Rocna.
- Wind Generator Failure - The loss of our Rutland 913 wind generator.
- Charter Management - Experiences with our previous boat in charter management.
- Coppercoat - Copper anti-foul.
- 2012 Itinerary - Our plan for the 2012 season, and what actually happened when the weather intervened.
- A Flare Free Boat - How and why we got rid of pyrotechnics on Speedwell
Boat Systems and Upgrades
- Solar Charging - Details of out photovoltaic charging installation and our experiences with that system.
- Osmosis: We bought a boat with osmosis!
- Coppercoat: How our copper anti-foul is behaving over several seasons.
- Rig: Getting rid of in-mast mainsail furling.
- Heating: Fitting central heating.
- Engine: The main engine.
- Electrical Systems: The batteries and charging system.
- Tanks: Storage tanks and possible osmosis in the fresh water tanks.
- Electronics: Navigation, communications and other systems.
Descriptions of some technical aspects of sailing that often don't get covered in detail in general sailing books.
- Keels and Rudders - How they work, what happens when they stop working and how to recover.
- Sail Twist and Wind Shear - One reason why boats sail differently on opposite tacks.
- Velocity Made Good – Trading off course against speed.
- Triatic Stay - What is a triatic stay?
- In-Mast Reefing - A personal view on why we've chosen to convert to slab reefing.
- Suppliers - A review of some of the suppliers that we’ve used.
Some supporting articles explaining some of the background to the technical articles.
- Sailing Maths - The maths behing VMG, true wind and apparent wind